I chose to use WordPress for the Bayes Analytic blog and have to admit that I spend more time generating content and less time coding HTML when using WordPress. I am a WordPress neophyte and never plan to become a guru because I would rather invest my time in the Bayes Analytic engine. The WordPress efficiency advantage is substantial enough to make me consider porting some of my hand coded sites over to WordPress.
Here are some of the things I found helpful. Hopefully they will save you some time along the way.
Fix Default template <h1> to improve SEO
Planning to test
- Automatic post summation
- SEO optimization by YOAST
- SEO Plugin by SQUIRRLY
- Page header optimization for SEO by Greg
- Per Page tags by post
- Page Header and footer plugin – test for my copyright and disclaimer
- Adding metadata tags to page head such as subject
Improve WordPress blog exposure
I want to improve the exposure of my blog. The essence of these can be summarized as:
- Use the Blog title permalinks – I tested this and the default WordPress links do horribly in Google search.
- Write good valuable and descriptive Content.
- Choose your titles carefully, Short as reasonable, Minimize filler words
- Use the spell check and grammar tools
- Proof read every article at least 3 times with each read separated by at least 2 hours.
- Proof read out loud at least twice. Mumbling doesn’t count. Pretend you are reading it to your boss.
- Use the scheduled release features and always schedule release at least 2 days away. It is amazing how addictive it is to go back and proof read an article you know will be released soon.
- Use the tag to minimize duplicate content. (The new google crawler penalizes duplicate content).
- Do not focus too much on keywords but when faced with a choice use keywords people are likely to type into a search box.
- Register your blog with all the search engines.
- Obtain links from other blogs and web sites. Note: The default action for most blogs includes a no-follow tag which I think dramatically reduces the value of responding to other blogs with comments so you are back to actually interacting with people and convincing them that adding a full link back to your site is worthwhile. Also see – Write good valuable content.
- Review the search strings people use to find your site and increase the use of those keywords where appropriate.
- Review your top search referral pages and make an investment to improve the content on those pages to make them even better. Also add more links on that page to your other related blog content.
- Backup the entire blog every time you post more than a few hours worth of writing effort. Never trust your hosting company to do this.
- I have lost more than 2 hours of writing when I got a 502 error during posting. I think this was due to a temporary internet glitch. Save often and use the privately published status if needed. I learned the save often lesson clear back in the 1980’s and it is still true.
here are some links for articles that seemed worth while.
SEO WordPress Tools
Other links but not directly related to publicity
Word Press Form Plugin Review
The jetpack contact form was creating SPAM entries like crazy and I found several other complaints about it on the web. I need something that will either require the user to be registered to send contact or at least use captcha to minimize the risk of robots sending the submission.
Search Crawler Emulator
Places to Register to obtain links
HTML Site Map
- I like HTML site maps but in this instance what I wanted was a complete chronological index of articles by category. Part of this was for SEO exposure since I only partly trust the search crawler will follow sitemap.xml but the main reason is that even I was finding it increasingly difficult to follow the complete thread stream. It helps to use the tag to keep less in view on the categories pages but even on those pages there was a limit to the number of articles shown.I wanted to be able to control things like category ordering. Only display the article in the most detailed category, Have an option to suppress showing the blog article at all but didn’t find the perfect unit. What I decided to use was simple sitemap to produce my article index page which was good enough and it would not be a good investment to spend time programming PHP when I could be writing the next trading algorithm.
Desired features I have not found yet.
Links added when researching auto post